Friday, December 2, 2011

Universal Studios Orlando Closing The Jaws Ride

From Universal Studios Orlando Facebook

Hey fans, we want you to be the first to know… JAWS! and the Amity area will officially close on January 2 to make room for an exciting, NEW, experience we're planning for you.

We know you love JAWS! and we do too. It has been an amazing attraction and after terrorizing the waters of Amity here at Universal Orlando for 20 years, it's a VERY important part of our history. So, we've got a couple things planned to ensure we always remember and honor it. We know it's hard to say goodbye, but we can't express how EXCITED we are about the new, innovative & amazing experience we're going to be bringing you.

Being that I inducted Jaws: The Revenge onto Monster Crap and have mentioned that I loved Jaws, I felt the need to mention my thoughts on this. I went on the Jaws ride when I was very young and while most of the rides in Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida felt really fun to me, the Jaws ride in my mind was by far the weakest. So I am not too broken up that the ride is closing other than tradition (which the theme park has crapped on in the past by closing Back To The Future: The Ride, and Kongfrontation as well as changing the names of some of the rides like the Earthquake ride (which is now Disaster, A Major Motion Picture Starring You), however...........what really irritates me is the rumor going around is the reason is so the Harry Potter section can be expanded and Universal felt we need a ride based on this.


Now I know I have recieved some problems with Twilight fans for my hatred of the series (even though I have admitted that I did not mind the first film), but my problem is not with that. My main problem is just this one simple thing.

HOW THE HELL CAN YOU MAKE A RIDE BASED ON THE TWILIGHT SERIES???!!!!

I have sat through and watched most of these films (I am not going to a theater to sit through Breaking Dawn Part 1). There is nothing (and I mean NOTHING) in those movies that would make for any type of entertaining attraction at an amusement park.

I tried to talk with some people and while they agree with me as to "What the hell, Universal", I have had a few who have defended the change, saying Jaws is getting old as a franchise and that it isn't as memorable to kids these days as Twilight is.

Now I may have been an adult when the Twilight movies came out, but Jaws came out in 1975, nearly a decade before I was even born. Long before I had even seen the movie Jaws myself, I knew that Jaws was about a killer shark. It has kind of been written into pop culture that when Jaws comes up, you normally think about a shark. If the day comes when kids know what Twilight is, but don't know what Jaws is............I feel sorry for them and quite frankily, I don't want to be near them for fear that their lack of knowledge would rub off on me. I hope that day never comes.

But this event is really making me question the future of our civilization as far as pop culture goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment